Austin Mini till Suzuki Swift GTi-konvertering

Getting ready to install a Swift GTi engine in my 1975 Austin Mini 1000 cc. Going from 35 bhp to 105 bhp, or more. It is also going to get just a bit of a style makeover.
  • 114 Följare
  • 305 027 Visningar
  • Uppdaterades senast 27 januari
martinhejdesten
22 mars 2019 · 484 Inlägg

Fredag #1 – Nytvättade spridare skickas iväg för genomströmningstest mm.
Fredag #2 – Motorhuvens nya svetsarbete är färdigslipat och nu väntar spackling.
Fredag #3 – Flipfrontens insida har fått ett lager med underredsmassa.
Fredag #4 – Arbetsbeskrivning skickas till motorverkstaden och invänta renoveringsstart.

• • • TRANSLATION • • • 

Friday #1 – Newly cleaned injectors are sent for flow testing, etc.
Friday #2 – The new welding work on the engine hood is finished, and now it's time for puttying.
Friday #3 – The inside of the flip front has received a layer of undercoating.
Friday #4 – Work description is sent to the engine workshop, awaiting the start of renovations.

https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-6a636c87c3044def77f34c3d27ebb608.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-a8e8c5cc125265c3cf6a798612a99088.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-d06063e7cde89b99460aa3a04883ff1d.jpg

Senast redigerat av martinhejdesten (27 december 2023)

KSI-Garage Platschef på Hedin Däckdepå i Bålsta
22 mars 2019 · 1 366 Inlägg

Tyckte först att fronten såg helt skev och skärmarna helt vridna ut, men såg sen att det är insidan du tagit bild på ;-) snyggt med enhetlig färg, och bra med rostskydd.

Motorer utan turbo suger. Kolla in mina Projekt här.
Audi 80 GTE quattro GTE quattro -86
Audi 80 quattro -84 urq sedan
Bruksbilen BYD Atto 3 BYD Atto 3
eastmotorsport -sommar ska de va....
22 mars 2019 · 4 524 Inlägg

Snart lack, härligt! Men tycker det ser ut som den påsvetsade plåtremsan på huven är ojämn i underkant

Tack till alla som följer och tittar i våra projekttrådar .
martinhejdesten
22 mars 2019 · 484 Inlägg

eastmotorsport skrev:
Snart lack, härligt! Men tycker det ser ut som den påsvetsade plåtremsan på huven är ojämn i underkant

Det är den som satt på den gamla fronten och som blev lite tilltygad vid demonteringen av ”läppen”. Ska knackas till och jämnas ut med spackel då passformen fortfarande inte är helt hundra till frontpanelen.

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

Reply to post: At first, I thought the front looked completely crooked and the fenders completely twisted, but then I saw that you took a picture of the inside ;-) Looks good with a uniform color, and great with rust protection.

Reply to post: Soon to be painted, delightful! But I think it looks like the welded sheet metal strip on the hood is uneven at the bottom.

It's the one that was on the old front and got a bit damaged during the removal of the "lip." It will be tapped and smoothed out with putty since the fit is still not completely perfect for the front panel.

Senast redigerat av martinhejdesten (31 december 2023)

martinhejdesten
23 mars 2019 · 484 Inlägg

Ibland är det bra med en reminder om hur bilen ska se ut när den är klar (photoshopad). Vindrutetorkararmarna är dock i svart. Och igår fick jag nöjet att känna och klämma på grannens precis inköpta Mini Cooper (1989 års modell). Han blev inspirerad av min bil. Och nu inspirerar hans lilla bil mig att jag bara måste bli klar. Och det är fort.

Att sätta samman en motor är kanske inte helt lätt, dessutom ska ju all el dras om och nya hjärtat får ju inte stötas bort av kroppen så att säga. Drivaxlarna, koppling och styrning ska ju helst funka. Och sen ska allt finjusteras inför besiktning. Blir den klar till sensommaren måntro? Håller tummarna.

Surfar lite Harness bar just nu, dvs det horisontella röret som monteras på den bakre delen av buren. I annat fall får jag fästa 4-punktsbältena i baksätets ryggstöd (nertill) eller rentav på ”hatthyllan”. Detta rör kompletteras med ett vertikalt rör som fästes mellan Harness bar och tunneln. Denna Harness bar kanske läggs med i ordern som ännu inte lämnat UK.

Olidlig väntan står runt hörnet nu när motorn är iväg för renovering och även när lackering är på G. Men sen....

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

Sometimes it's good to have a reminder of how the car should look when it's finished (photoshopped). The windshield wiper arms are black in the image. Yesterday, I had the pleasure of checking out the Mini Cooper that my neighbor just bought (1989 model). He was inspired by my car, and now his little car inspires me to get mine finished. And quickly.

Assembling an engine may not be entirely easy, and all the electrical work needs to be redone. The new heart must not be rejected by the body, so to speak. The drive shafts, clutch, and steering ideally need to work smoothly. Then, everything has to be fine-tuned for inspection. Will it be ready by late summer? Fingers crossed.

Currently, I'm browsing for a Harness bar, which is the horizontal bar mounted on the rear part of the cage. Otherwise, I might have to attach the 4-point harnesses to the lower part of the rear seatback or even on the "hat shelf." This bar is complemented by a vertical bar attached between the Harness bar and the tunnel. Perhaps I'll include this Harness bar in the order that hasn't left the UK yet.

The unbearable wait is just around the corner now as the engine is away for renovation and the painting is in progress. But then...

https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-1676d4ffcb881f91dc5d017d55bba014.jpg

martinhejdesten
25 mars 2019 · 484 Inlägg

Måndag. Arbetsveckan är igång. Så är även pensionären på östkusten. Farsan har legat i och rengjort samt lackerat kofferten. Motorhuven har lagts på sin plats och passformen finjusterats med spackel så att framkanten blir tipptopp.

På västkusten så har jag Photoshopat vindrutetorkararmarna så att de blivit svarta (uppdaterad bild i föregående inlägg). Spridarna skickas till Overtake i Jönköping och sen är det väntan som gäller. Främst sändning från UK med grejor som ska monteras innan lackering.

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

Monday. The workweek has started, and so has the retiree on the east coast. My dad has been busy cleaning and painting the trunk. The hood has been placed in its position, and the fit has been fine-tuned with putty to ensure the front edge is perfect.

On the west coast, I have Photoshopped the windshield wiper arms to make them black (updated image in the previous post). The injectors are being sent to Overtake in Jönköping, and then it's a waiting game. Mainly waiting for a shipment from the UK with parts that need to be installed before painting.

https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-57c8ab25c9ad55001d2fbf9301e5fe94.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-023140d159d4c6763d316af5076e2ec3.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-544b4f39bbadc92c4e1afacfec066b76.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-9c3076df98a95af49e1e7d93c31673a2.jpg

martinhejdesten
26 mars 2019 · 484 Inlägg

Britterna är inte snabba på mailen. Men jag fick nyss besked om att gångjärnen för bakluckan och de nedre gångjärnen till dörrarna fortfarande är Out of Stock. Eftersom jag är ivrig att få iväg bilen till lackering, men måste få på "sömmarna" (listerna) innan dess så bad jag dem dela upp sändningen.

Med det sagt så borde första delen anlända i början på nästa vecka (v 14), monteras och sedan skicka bilen till lackering i slutet av samma vecka.

Farsan har slipat, spacklat och slipat på nytt sett till passformen på motorhuven och fronten. Nu börjar det likna något! Han har även smackat dit underredsmassa på innerskärmarna och stagen så att det ser nytt och fräscht ut. Och testmonterat en Spax Gaz Shocks.

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

The Brits are not quick on email, but I just received information that the hinges for the rear hatch and the lower door hinges are still Out of Stock. Since I'm eager to send the car for painting but need to put on the "sömmarna" (moldings) before that, I asked them to split the shipment.

With that said, the first part should arrive at the beginning of next week (week 14), be installed, and then send the car for painting at the end of the same week.

Dad has sanded, puttied, and sanded again to adjust the fit of the hood and front. Now it's starting to look like something! He has also applied undercoating on the inner fenders and supports to make it look new and fresh. And test-fitted a Spax Gaz Shock.

https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-cc0f946fd0800e0aaa07fe4f5753cf9c.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-95fa711a30271468b9950fea1223162d.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-8bfcf5f4eee023f61f30787572499c1d.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-cc71d0d13b8666b9c55aa1d75d88a492.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-e875b53fa8cb66b99deeb89dd7619c79.jpg

martinhejdesten
29 mars 2019 · 484 Inlägg

Grisen i säcken... när man åker 45 mil enkel resa för en billig motor så får man räkna med överraskningar. Idag fick jag dessvärre beskedet att cylindrarna måste borras. Och därtill kommer nya kolvar. Hmm. Nåja, men det blir nog bra i slutändan.

Co-pilot Andreas hittade en kontakt i USA som är duktig på kamaxlar då de också behövdes bytas ut enligt motorverkstaden. Så nu är dessa urplockade och ska flyga över Atlanten för att "kopieras" innan nya tillverkas.

Kort och gott. Jag köpte nog den billiga grisen i säcken. Den var inte snygg, men den lär springa snabbare än griseknoen när den är klar, för just nu springer den inte alls.

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

The pig in the bag... when you travel 450 kilometers one way for a cheap engine, you have to expect surprises. Today, unfortunately, I received the news that the cylinders need to be bored. Additionally, new pistons are required. Hmm. Well, it will probably be fine in the end.

Co-pilot Andreas found a contact in the USA who is skilled with camshafts, as they also needed to be replaced according to the engine workshop. So now, these are taken out and will fly across the Atlantic to be "copied" before new ones are manufactured.

In short, I might have bought the cheap pig in the bag. It wasn't pretty, but it will probably run faster than a piglet when it's ready because right now, it's not running at all.

https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-ba3571ba53fa6da5c02cd37571db6a91.jpg
https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-d475d7fb904a00138799ca241f027075.jpg

Cassius Hobbymekaniker
29 mars 2019 · 470 Inlägg

Bra tillfälle att uppgradera kolvar och stakar då ju. Swift motorerna svarar bra på överladdning wink

1976 Kadett C, V8
1991 Audi V8, RS4 motor
https://www.instagram.com/retro_motorsports_garage/
Opel Kadett C Pro Retro "Patinaräsern" (1976)
silverado350
29 mars 2019 · 193 Inlägg

Turbo! 😉

martinhejdesten
3 april 2019 · 484 Inlägg

För en stund satt jag och skrev ett surt mail till Minisport då de, enligt telefonsamtal i måndags, ännu inte hade skickat den första delen av ordern vilket de sa att de skulle ha gjort för exakt en vecka sedan. Plötsligt sa det "pling" i telefonen med ett meddelande "Your items have been dispatched and will arrive on this Friday". De kände nog av min frustration med andra ord. Jag hann turligt nog inte skicka det syrliga mailet.

När prylarna anländer så ska sömmarna smackas på illa kvickt. Sen lämnas allt till lackering!

På hemmafronten har jag fått kontakt med jänken som i själva verket var en kanadick, Ontario för att vara mer exakt. Han beskrev hur kamaxlar mm skulle packas för att undvika skador på prylarna. Ehh...

"These are my standard shipping instructions. Please read them carefully. Wrap each cam tightly in AT LEAST 8-10 pages of newspaper. Tape them together. Wrap and tape them in cardboard. Put them in a box packed tight with crumpled newspaper. No styrofoam please. It doesn't work and it’s messy. If you are shipping the cam sprocket as well, separate it from the cam and wrap it the same way with newspaper and cardboard. If they move in the box, they will get damaged. I have seen many damaged cams and sprockets in the past and this should prevent that. It will then all fit in a 12” x 12” x 5 1/2” USPS flat rate box and save a considerable amount on the shipping. Make sure to tape it well around its perimeter because the boxes are not very good."

Sagt och gjort. Men vem har tidningspapper nu för tiden? Man läser ju allt digitalt numera. Nåja, jag fick ragga tag på tidningspapper men nu tog silvertejpen slut. Lär surra in rubbet rejält med silvertejp på anrådan av the Canadian. Får se vad frakten landar på.

På återseende!

• • • TRANSLATION • • • 

Reply to post: Great opportunity to upgrade pistons and connecting rods then. Swift engines respond well to forced induction.

For a moment, I was composing a bitter email to Minisport.com as they, according to a phone call on Monday, hadn't yet dispatched the first part of the order, which they claimed to have done exactly a week ago. Suddenly, the phone went "ping" with a message "Your items have been dispatched and will arrive this Friday." They probably sensed my frustration, in other words. Fortunately, I didn't manage to send that acidic email.

When the items arrive, the seams will be quickly put on. Then everything will be handed over for painting!

On the home front, I've been in touch with the Yankee, who, in reality, was a Canadian, Ontario to be more precise. He described how camshafts, etc., should be packed to avoid damage to the items. Uh-huh...

"These are my standard shipping instructions. Please read them carefully. Wrap each cam tightly in AT LEAST 8-10 pages of newspaper. Tape them together. Wrap and tape them in cardboard. Put them in a box packed tight with crumpled newspaper. No styrofoam please. It doesn't work and it’s messy. If you are shipping the cam sprocket as well, separate it from the cam and wrap it the same way with newspaper and cardboard. If they move in the box, they will get damaged. I have seen many damaged cams and sprockets in the past and this should prevent that. It will then all fit in a 12” x 12” x 5 1/2” USPS flat rate box and save a considerable amount on the shipping. Make sure to tape it well around its perimeter because the boxes are not very good."

Said and done. But who has newspaper nowadays? Everyone reads digitally these days. Well, I managed to scrounge up some newspaper, but now the silver tape ran out. I'll probably wrap it all up tightly with silver tape as per the Canadian's advice. Let's see where the shipping cost lands.

https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-a7ce0e1b6b789ede95b8664b8d6c5275.jpg

martinhejdesten
4 april 2019 · 484 Inlägg

Snabba puckar...
- Silvertejp inhandlat. Nu ska det surras!
- Frakt enkel väg till Kanada; en lagom diff på 864-3931 kr beroende på aktör. Jisses!
- Farsan har grundat undersidan på huven med tröskelskyddsmassa. Lackeraren tar över snart.
- Andreas har fått svar från motorverkstaden; borrning till 74,25 mm i bästa fall (eller tvingas borra mer då cylinderhål 3 var i sämst skick).
- Spridarstatus: flödet på spridarna var helt ok, men sprutbilden var sådär och blev inte bättre av ultraljudstvätten. Expertutlåtande från Overtake "Det bör inte vara några problem. Men vill poängtera att spridarna inte är i nyskick." Enligt Andreas kan man hitta nya hyfsat billigt på eBay.
- Håller tummarna att UK-sändningen verkligen dyker upp imorrn. Lär ta en tur över till bilen i helgen för att slutföra karosseriet och lämna över bilen till lackfirman. Sätter nog en digital systemkamera i näven på farsan så att han kan plåta lackeringen då han bor i närheten.

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

Quick updates...

- Silver tape acquired. Now it's wrapping time!
- Shipping one way to Canada; a reasonable range of 864-3931 SEK ($86-393 / £68-308) depending on the carrier. Geez!
- Dad has applied undercoating to the underside of the hood. The painter will take over soon.
- Andreas got a response from the engine workshop; boring to 74.25 mm in the best-case scenario (or forced to bore more as cylinder hole 3 was in the worst condition).
- Injector status: the flow of the injectors was fine, but the spray pattern was so-so and didn't improve with ultrasonic cleaning. Expert opinion from Overtake: "There shouldn't be any problems. But I want to emphasize that the injectors are not in new condition." According to Andreas, you can find new ones fairly cheaply on eBay.
- Keeping fingers crossed that the UK shipment really arrives tomorrow. I'll probably take a trip to the car over the weekend to complete the bodywork and hand over the car to the paint shop. I'll likely put a digital camera in Dad's hand so he can capture the painting process since he lives nearby.

https://www1.garaget.org/gallery/images/219/218366/218366-93dfc854ddcc9642649880243d130c19.jpg

eastmotorsport -sommar ska de va....
4 april 2019 · 4 524 Inlägg

Men nån på närmare håll måste väl kunna fixa nya kammar?

Tack till alla som följer och tittar i våra projekttrådar .
SportPilot Ubåtsingenjör
4 april 2019 · 7 217 Inlägg

Måste bara ge beröm för de förbaskat bra bilderna !

Porsche 911 Targa "räserbubblan" (1972)
Cassius Hobbymekaniker
5 april 2019 · 470 Inlägg

Kolla med AGAP, dom gör custom kammar vet jag. Även från nya råämnen om de skulle vara så. Omslipningar finns de fler som gör också, Enem bl a tror jag har en kamslip. Blir inte förvånad om firmor som Topplocksverkstan, HighSpeed, TG Motor m.fl. har bra kontakter för sånt också.

Sen finns ju firmor i Europa med, Cat Cams är rätt stora t ex.

1976 Kadett C, V8
1991 Audi V8, RS4 motor
martinhejdesten
5 april 2019 · 484 Inlägg

Det var ju förstås bra pris via kanadicken, men jag tror att frakten äter upp hela den vinsten. Tar man via en närmre aktör så slipper jag ju både klabb med tull och dyr frakt. Har någon några tips på svenska återförsäljare/aktörer?

Tack för tipsen Cassius. Du var några sekunder före mig, haha!

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

Reply to post: But someone closer must be able to fix new camshafts, right?

Reply to post: Just have to give credit for those damn good pictures!

Reply to post: Check with AGAP, they make custom cams, I know. Also, from new raw materials if necessary. There are several companies that do regrinding as well, Enem, for example, I think has a cam grinder. I wouldn't be surprised if companies like Topplocksverkstan, HighSpeed, TG Motor, and others have good contacts for that too.

Then there are companies in Europe too, Cat Cams is quite large, for example.

Of course, it was a good price through the Canadian, but I think the shipping eats up the entire profit. If you go through a closer supplier, I can avoid both the hassle of customs and expensive shipping. Does anyone have any tips on Swedish retailers/providers?

Thanks for the tips, Cassius. You were a few seconds ahead of me, haha!"

martinhejdesten

SportPilot skrev:
Måste bara ge beröm för de förbaskat bra bilderna !

Tackar. Och så blev de i färg till slut!

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

Thanks. And they ended up in color after all!

Cassius Hobbymekaniker
5 april 2019 · 470 Inlägg

Jag frågade på pris hos AGAP för 4st råämnes kammar till en DOCH V8a. De var billigare än att köpa färdiga från catcams smile Då skulle Agap hjälpa till med att ta fram profilen med. Tror de handlade om 16-18000 hos AGAP och drygt 20 från Cat cams. Men då handlar det som sagt om 4st kamaxlar, inte bara två wink Omslipning är också klart billigare än råämnes kammar så helt klart värt att kolla upp i alla fall!

1976 Kadett C, V8
1991 Audi V8, RS4 motor
martinhejdesten

W T F ! Fick grejorna från England idag. Men de där listerna som var väldigt viktiga att få fanns inte med! Och då har jag mailat dem tre gånger och tryckt på att jag behöver dem omgående pga stundande lackering. Bloody hell!

Andreas hade en liknelse häromdagen då hans bil hade pajat, jag tror jag får låna den... tänk dig Michael Douglas i filmen Falling Down, Bruce Willis i Die Hard (Yippie-ki-yay MF) och Samuel L jackson i Pulp Fiction. Där. Just där. Är jag nu.

Men glad helg på er!

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

Reply to post: I inquired about the price at AGAP for 4 raw material camshafts for a DOHC V8a. They were cheaper than buying ready-made ones from Cat Cams 😊 AGAP would also assist in developing the profile. I think it was about 16-18,000 SEK at AGAP and just over 20,000 from Cat Cams. But, as mentioned, this involves 4 camshafts, not just two 😄 Refurbishing is also significantly cheaper than raw material camshafts, so definitely worth checking out!

W T F! Got the items from England today. But those lists that were very important were not included! And I've emailed them three times, emphasizing that I need them urgently due to imminent painting. Bloody hell!

Andreas had a simile the other day when his car broke down; I think I might borrow it... imagine Michael Douglas in the movie Falling Down, Bruce Willis in Die Hard (Yippie-ki-yay MF), and Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction. There. Right there. That's where I am now.

But happy weekend to you all!

martinhejdesten

Tack Cassius för att du snabbkollat pris. Jag tar detta vidare och kollar vad två kammar landar på!

• • • TRANSLATION • • •

Thanks, Cassius, for quickly checking the price. I'll take this further and see what the cost for two camshafts ends up being!

Senast i forumet
Diskussionsforum
Projekt
Evenemang