How do you get your stuff legal?

fraguzz
14 juni 2022 · 22 Inlägg

Is there a institution like the TUV in sweden.. where you can get parts approved and registered to your car . Like coilovers or big breaks..

Looking for an alternative to driving to Germany (tuv)!

Mitsubishi lancer evolution V "true evolution" (1998)
Nickeboii
15 juni 2022 · 762 Inlägg

fraguzz skrev:
Is there a institution like the TUV in sweden.. where you can get parts approved and registered to your car . Like coilovers or big breaks..

That is very dependable on which car it is and when it is registered. On newer cars which have whats called Helbilsgodkännande you are not allowed to change to other/different parts than what was fitted from factory. Regardless if the aftermarket parts are TÜV approved or not.

Most times you will pass the annual/semiannual inspection, but you will always run a risk of getting caught when having not standard parts mounted to the car.

If you want to modify the car leagally you will have to turn to the organisation SFRO or TESTA, but that requires a lot of modifications and not just coilovers and brakes to get it through. smile

To sum up, there is no easy way to legally modify a car here. hmm

/Best regards.

Volvo 242 L "16 Ventiler" (1976)
Lucif3r
15 juni 2022 · 2 218 Inlägg

Yes, and No. Theres no easy way. It all depends on make, year and model of car.
The closest thing we got to make uncommon stuff legal is SFRO, but that requires far more work than, say, a coilover swap, and is a long and expensive process.

How do we "normies" do it? Well, while not strictly legal, the odds of encountering an inspector, or police, that gives a flying f-k about your coilovers are slim to none - as long as your vehicle is of reasonable height and have sufficient dampening.
Big brakes can be trickier, but unless they are ridiculously oversized for the vehicle in question, I doubt many would care as long as they function within the legal limits(mostly brake bias. So having overpowered front brakes while retaining the barely-enough-original rear brakes is probably a bad idea).

But on the whole, as long as you keep things "reasonable" barely anyone will bat an eye.
Just stay away from anything engine-related, THATS a big no-no in sweden and something they will complain about very fast... Heck, they can even complain about having a sport air filter mounted(yes, really)...

Hybrid_ Forum- och sitemoderator
15 juni 2022 · 17 509 Inlägg

Well. I had to certificate a new car here a couple of month ago for soundtest of exhaustsystem. Was forced to fly in a TüV-guy from Austria for the test 1 day. The test took maybe 1 hour... It was not for free either. Huge cost but the car itself is really expensive and now in legal i Sweden.

Tänk på 80-talet. Då körde hantverkarna Cheva Startcraft med V8-diesel. Det var tider det!
it_mutt Avstängd
16 juni 2022 · 10 388 Inlägg

Nickeboii skrev:

fraguzz skrev:

That is very dependable on which car it is and when it is registered. On newer cars which have whats called Helbilsgodkännande you are not allowed to change to other/different parts than what was fitted from factory. Regardless if the aftermarket parts are TÜV approved or not.

Most times you will pass the annual/semiannual inspection, but you will always run a risk of getting caught when having not standard parts mounted to the car.

If you want to modify the car leagally you will have to turn to the organisation SFRO or TESTA, but that requires a lot of modifications and not just coilovers and brakes to get it through. smile

/Best regards.

And here we go again. Another post in the "helbilsgodkänd"-universe. And as most of the time...a incorrect one.

You ARE allowed to change car parts. They must meet or exceed the perimeters set by the original part.
And yes, this, unlike what you claim, makes a certification necessary. TüV is one of those. And, yes, it is legal in Sweden as well.

We've been over this so So SOOOOOOOO many times before here.

If you change, let's say, shocks. All you, and this is in worst case scenario, have to provide is a certificate that the part is certified for your car.
This could be done in a Swedish certificate, or another EU-country...lets say Germany...and lets say that the certificate is a TüV one.

Or, as the "Fordonslag" (http://www.notisum.se/rnp/sls/sfs/20020574.PDF) states;

"Typgodkännande kan ske i enlighet med EG-direktiv på området (EG-typgodkännande), i enlighet med överenskommelser upprättade inom Förenta nationernas
ekonomiska kommission för Europa (ECE- typgodkännande) eller som nationellt typgodkännande."

Loosely translated; "Certification can be done in compliance with EU-directive of that specific area, in compliance with agreements within the Economic Commission for Europe (ECE-approval) or as
a national approval".

One thing should be noted; YOU are responsible to provide the accurate documents for any "other part" you've put on your car. Simply stating that the part is "TüV-approved" isn't enough.

And of course; the part can't interfere with any other regulations. In theory a exhaust system could be TüV-approved, but still be to loud to use in public.

But, stating that you can't "change anything at all on a helbilsgodkänd car, man", simply isn't true.

- - - edit - - -

Oh f..k spelling...

- - - edit 2 - - -

And to the OP; I'm well aware that this didn't help you out. Sorry 'bout that. The repeating "helbilsgodkänd may not be altered AT ALL!"-thing is just tiresome.

Senast redigerat av it_mutt (16 juni 2022)

De som säger att lycka inte kan köpas för pengar...har aldrig ägt en Audi
Shit! -What? Rollers. -No? Yep. -Shit!
Nickeboii
16 juni 2022 · 762 Inlägg

it_mutt skrev:

Nickeboii skrev:

fraguzz skrev:

/Best regards.

And here we go again. Another post in the "helbilsgodkänd"-universe. And as most of the time...a incorrect one.

You ARE allowed to change car parts. They must meet or exceed the perimeters set by the original part.
And yes, this, unlike what you claim, makes a certification necessary. TüV is one of those. And, yes, it is legal in Sweden as well.

We've been over this so So SOOOOOOOO many times before here.

If you change, let's say, shocks. All you, and this is in worst case scenario, have to provide is a certificate that the part is certified for your car.
This could be done in a Swedish certificate, or another EU-country...lets say Germany...and lets say that the certificate is a TüV one.

Or, as the "Fordonslag" (http://www.notisum.se/rnp/sls/sfs/20020574.PDF) states;

"Typgodkännande kan sk

ekonomiska kommission för Europa (ECE- typgodkännande) eller som nationellt typgodkännande."

Loosely translated; "Certification can be done in compliance with EU-directive of that specific area, in compliance with agreements within the Economic Commission for Europe (ECE-approval) or as
a national approval".

One thing should be noted; YOU are responsible to provide the accurate documents for any "other part" you've put on your car. Simply stating that the part is "TüV-approved" isn't enough.

And of course; the part can't interfere with any other regulations. In theory a exhaust system could be TüV-approved, but still be to loud to use in public.

But, stating that you can't "change anything at all on a helbilsgodkänd car, man", simply isn't true.

- - - edit - - -

Oh f..k spelling...

- - - edit 2 - - -

And to the OP; I'm well aware that this didn't help you out. Sorry 'bout that. The repeating "helbilsgodkänd may not be altered AT ALL!"-thing is just tiresome.

Well then, I stand corrected. I even searched for information about this before I wrote this and come up with nothing. And I am usually good at finding information.
But still, this still means that it is very difficult to modify a car in a legal way in Sweden.

Volvo 242 L "16 Ventiler" (1976)
fraguzz
17 juni 2022 · 22 Inlägg

I see so.. no alternative to tuv germany 😐

Its about a danish  car.. lets just take my car a lancer evolution v 1998 imported through the uk..

Its not a non E aproved car model.. and because of this, no company can make a tuv approved parts for it.. the coilovers are the same as on the evo 789 they are approved.(it needs shims and different bolts for the front)

Asked ohlins about this and that was the answer that it was made for the car but they could not provide tuv documents for the early models 1996-2000 same coilover kit only with shims..

Mitsubishi lancer evolution V "true evolution" (1998)
Senast i forumet
Diskussionsforum
Projekt
Evenemang