Import to Sweden

narko
16 december 2008 · 20 Inlägg

Hello.. smile

Hope it OK that i write in English since my Swedish is not all that good.. tongue

I'm thinking about importing a car from UK or Japan and because of that I have some questions that someone might be able to answer for me..

When I have to get it registered and on license plates does it then have to be completely stock or can I get a extreme tuned and modified car in ?

Is there any different in getting a car from UK thats in EU and a one from Japan thats is not in EU registered in Sweden ?

I know in Denmark where I'm from the car from Japan has to have been registered in another EU country before it can get on license plates in Denmark sad

/Narko

BESHAN Orginal är för gubbjävlar!
16 december 2008 · 245 Inlägg

It dont need to be stock so u can take any car that u want. the other question i cant answer i let someone else who knows that thing better say it insted. Btw, what car are u looking for?

TurbOla Reservdansk
16 december 2008 · 6 271 Inlägg

If you import a extreme tuned car, and they test it for the horsepowers, it will probably not go to register, or either you'll get a sky-high insurance... wink
Or they maybe just look in the papers?

"Då pansar dundrar fram på öppna hedar
vi alla liksom känner oss förmer."

P7 - Södra Skånska Regementet
st4rmine_junkie Honda freak
16 december 2008 · 137 Inlägg

I will have to tell you this, BESHAN are right in a way.. But you do have to check how many horsepowers VS whitch brakes the car has.. Some cars with too much horsepowers or too bad/weak brakes is not allowed to be registered in EU countries.. Each vehicle has its specifications, whitch country do you wanna import to?! And whitch car are you planning to import?

Cheers // Robin

Senast redigerat av st4rmine_junkie (16 december 2008)

"One day you will face destiny, then you have to decide if you want to DRIFT or DIE!"
påsen If your not out of control, your not in control
16 december 2008 · 686 Inlägg

As they say above.
The car doesn´t have to be 100% stock.

If you import a car from japan to sweden you´ll have too register it in the UK first.
So it´s the same as in denmark.

/Påsen

PÅSEN RACING
Mini Cooper S "Kojjan" (2004)
narko

Right now its a Nissan 200SX S14a drift car to have some fun in this winter and some of the spring.. But in the future its properly going to be a Nissan Skyline R32 GTR Drag car if i get my Evo IX sold in Denmark..

Both are going to get registered in Sweden so sounds like i have to look into the biggest upgrade brakes i can find.. Of course both are going to get mapped so they don’t have extremely high emission and lowered the boost when they are going to the register place.

påsen If your not out of control, your not in control
16 december 2008 · 686 Inlägg

Sounds like cars whit lots of modifications so if I were you I would call to vägverket (www.vv.se) and check whit them.
Or call some one that work whit importcars here in sweden and know all the rules.

/Påsen

PÅSEN RACING
Mini Cooper S "Kojjan" (2004)
expect1991
16 december 2008 · 1 814 Inlägg

narko skrev:
Right now its a Nissan 200SX S14a drift car to have some fun in this winter and some of the spring.. But in the future its properly going to be a Nissan Skyline R32 GTR Drag car if i get my Evo IX sold in Denmark..

Both are going to get registered in Sweden so sounds like i have to look into the biggest upgrade brakes i can find.. Of course both are going to get mapped so they don’t have extremely high emission and lowered the boost when they are going to the register place.

Also run on E85 ethanol (not 100% just a little volume) to cut down CO in the exhausts smile

camaro67 Meister
16 december 2008 · 6 763 Inlägg

påsen skrev:
As they say above.

If you import a car from japan to sweden you´ll have too register it in the UK first.

/Påsen

Why must he import it to japan first? its not a rule but most japan imports goes throug uk but its not nesesey. Both sweden and uk are eu countries so it doesnt make a differense. Execuse me for mye bad whriting but i have been to a julbord big_smile

Chevrolet Camaro "LS2-T56" (1967)
Nissan 200sx S14a "LS2" (1999)
KimVsWorld Mästare
16 december 2008 · 2 947 Inlägg

camaro67 skrev:

påsen skrev:
As they say above.

/Påsen

Why must he import it to japan first? its not a rule but most japan imports goes throug uk but its not nesesey. Both sweden and uk are eu countries so it doesnt make a differense. Execuse me for mye bad whriting but i have been to a julbord big_smile

He's not importing it to Japan! It's from Japan to UK then to Sweden! Was the Julbord nice? wink

Senast redigerat av KimVsWorld(Idag 22:03:00)
narko

Swedish julebord rules hehe.. good way to get really shit-faced wink

påsen: Sounds like a good idea.. i will try and see if vv.se can help me out or sent me some papers on the laws of importing to Sweden from EU and not EU.. Hopefully they also have something on tuned import cars..

expect1991: Yes E85 is gods gift to the car tuners haha wink

R-S-P
17 december 2008 · 38 Inlägg

hi mate,

if you r importing the vehicle from japan its better, easier and most important cheaper to get it via UK.

the vehicle must have stock airbox and stock exhaust to pass the swedish DVLA!

done this a couple of times!

btw great cars.

Cheers

yakozan
17 december 2008 · 333 Inlägg

Look at the current currency value of the JPY.
Not a very good idea to buy a car in Japan nowadays. Especially if you look on pricing in the UK.

The rules say that a car must be 100% stock when you're getting it registered.
It's really up to the man at SBP, but I doubt that a drag-car would pass the test.
Could end up being a real nightmare to get a highly modded car street-legal. It only takes one "no" and you're headed for a shitload of phone calls, paper writing and parts exchanging.

I would recommend looking up cars in the UK or cars which are already here in Sweden.

Buying a car in Japan and ship it to the UK and then to Sweden can be cheaper for more expensive cars. With cheaper cars the VAT differens gets eaten away by middle hands and extra shipping costs.
If the car is newer than 10 years it will need a SVA test which can cost between £300-1300 for stock cars. Much More for modified ones.

Importing a car can be very smooth. But it can also turn into a real nightmare.

Nissan GTR "Godzilla" (2010)
Audi S5 (2007)
Alecci
17 december 2008 · 2 014 Inlägg

First rule when registering a car in Sweden are that the vehicle must be in a series manufactured state, which actually means that the car should be in the same state as when it left the factory where it was fabricated. Please take notice, this is what the book says, and more often than not there are serious disrepancies between what the book say and how reality is.

Going for a bone stock car would considerably reduce the risks of running into an awful lot of problems which seldom takes little work, effort or even money to solve. If you receive a remark on non-stock parts on your car when you attempt to register it, the Swedish DVLA may very well demand that you make a stock component comparison, and that would be a hard and time-consuming task at the very best.

Just like Yakozan said, you would be far better off buying a car already registered in Sweden if you want to buy a complete package and not do the tuning yourself.

When importing a car directly from Japan the authorities will probably demand certificates on brakes and bobbery unless it's a car model already sold in Sweden as a new vehicle during its production run.

In addition, once again like Yakozan pointed out, the currency fluctuations of late would considerably have reduced the expenditure cuts you could otherwise have made by importing a car directly from Japan instead of selecting an object already within the EU in general and perhaps the UK in particular.

There's a good market for the cars you mentioned in the UK, the economy crash has hit them there as well and a good deal of people seem compelled to sell their cars in order to cut expenditures, just like they do over here, and you may very well say that it's a buyer's market at the moment.

Moreover, cars imported from a EU country will, as opposed to importing from a third part country, most probably render you much less problems during registration. If you then register the car as an import for private use (limited to one car per person in a twelve-months period) you will probably only have to show a certificate from the manufacturer or their agent-general that the car model is manufactured as part of a series - unless, of course, the model has been sold as a new car within Sweden.

As Yakozan very aptly remarked, the process of importing a car could be either heaven or hell.

00-02: BMW/Alpina B7 Turbo '80 - 05-06: Nissan Skyline R33 GTR '95 - 06-XX: Nissan Skyline R34 GTR '99
09-09: Ford Sierra Cosworth 4x4 '92 - 09-11: BMW/Alpina B10 V8 '97 - 11-xx: Maserati 3200 GT '99
Commodum Habitus Ex
narko
17 december 2008 · 20 Inlägg

Hmm.. So actually I have to get it to SBP that day where the guy just had sex with his wife..

Sounds like this could end up as a nightmare if I can’t get it in the first time. I have been looking in Sweden and cant find anything interesting for sale here. But in UK its no problem to find a already build drift car or even a good stock one if everything else fails.

But we can try and take an example..
S15 : http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/757664.htm
S14a : http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/730878.htm

Lets have a close look at this S15 and S14a. It doesn’t make that much horsepower and have big brakes but have roll-cage and other “drift” modifications on the S15.

If I look at the law then these two would not pass the SBP correct ? – But since they are not make much power and do have big brakes they should get in if I can find a happy SBP guy ?

Alecci
17 december 2008 · 2 014 Inlägg

Basically any car could get registered if the staff at SBP is at a good mood, but according to the letter of the law, no cars with any modifications whatsoever should be able to pass unless the modified component is duly certified by the maufacturer or their agent-general. In the latter case, you would need one certificate for every component that's been exchanged since stock.

More visible modifications, such as replaced air cleaner, exhaust, roll cage, huge rims and lots of 'bling' in the engine compartment should probably be avoided if you want to keep out of trouble with your registration process.

00-02: BMW/Alpina B7 Turbo '80 - 05-06: Nissan Skyline R33 GTR '95 - 06-XX: Nissan Skyline R34 GTR '99
09-09: Ford Sierra Cosworth 4x4 '92 - 09-11: BMW/Alpina B10 V8 '97 - 11-xx: Maserati 3200 GT '99
Commodum Habitus Ex
narko
17 december 2008 · 20 Inlägg

As I see it I then have 3 possibilities..

1. Buy Stock and get it registered in Sweden and start the rebuild of it
2. Buy a modified and pay the SBP guy with Danish beer to approve it lol
3. Buy a modified and get it registered in Denmark.

Guess that will be up to me to find out what I will do then.

In Sweden I guess it’s just like in Denmark as well that the car needs to go to get a “check up” like SBP so it can keep its license plates. I can’t imagine they are just as strict as when importing with all those extreme cars that are in this country ?

Alecci
18 december 2008 · 2 014 Inlägg

My bets would be on either of the following options:

1: Import a stock car from UK or Japan and modify it once it has cleared the Swedish registration.
2: Buy a modified car already registered in Sweden.
3: Buy a modified car from UK or Japan and not register it at all, only using it for events in fenced-off areas.

Commodum Habitus Ex
yakozan
18 december 2008 · 333 Inlägg

4. Buy two cars. One stock and the other highly tuned.
Register the stock one and then move all the tuning parts over from the tuned one and register that one with the stock parts. Job done smile Kinda expensive though.

Audi S5 (2007)
Nissan GTR "Godzilla" (2010)
viccoA
18 december 2008 · 3 110 Inlägg

5. Buy two cars. One stock and the other highly tuned.
Register the stock one and then move the plates over to the tuned one ;P

Senast i forumet
Diskussionsforum
Projekt
Evenemang