Volvo v50 1.6d engine cuts off due to fuel filter getting choked again and again

zias
7 juni 2017 · 14 Inlägg

Hi,

my friends car's engine was cutting off the power while driving, hence he got it checked at volvo and they charged 2000 for the troubleshooting and another 1800 for changing the diesel fuel filter saying that the filter need a change, however he had the filter changed not long ago (3000mil) and these filters last roughly 6K mil. i have s40 with same engine and similar filter and i changed it recently after 7500 mil and it was fine.

after just 6 months and 4000 km the car again started dying. just to troubleshoot we tried with an other fuel filter (filter from my car which has already done 7500mil) and car goes as smooth as new again. hence it is proven that the filter is getting choked but why. we will again head back to volvo and ask what have they troubleshooted last time but any help on this forum is much appreciated.

could it be due to bad fuel in the fuel tank? which is making the filter to get choked, if yes how can we proceed. two points that might be related or not i dont know.
1)  my friend bought the car to do his license and keep it so in past 1 year he has driven it quite less 4-5000 km in one year.
2) the fuel cap of the car is loose, the cap just fits in but does not make the tick tick tick sound while closing it, could that cause moisture inside the fuel tank, even though the main fuel cap door is always closed.

/Regards,
zia

Volvo s40 (2008)
viccoA
7 juni 2017 · 3 109 Inlägg

Try to add a treatment that eliminates diesel bacteria to the fuel.

Senast redigerat av viccoA (7 juni 2017)

xXSammy
8 juni 2017 · 6 569 Inlägg

if the fuelcap isnt able to close properly will the diesel age faster.
Did they refuel with PREEM diesel last time? They use more "environment friendly" diesel that tends to mould faster than regular diesel

De/Dem
Senast i forumet
Diskussionsforum
Projekt
Evenemang