What's legal in sweden?

RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

endorfinslaven skrev:
Continues with this !

My car has until today passed the MOT,,,,
My car has much bigger brakes !
The subframe/suspension parts in the back and the front is as on the 2WD/RWD rallye and rallycross cars except one thing, I dont have 4-link.
No rubber in the brushes just what we over here call uniballs Im not sure if you call em rodballs(USA). Really good difflock Ive tried the cheaper ones, shortened steeriing gear/ratio, bigger turbo intercooler, ported motorhead another camshaft, different cranksjhafts and a tuneable(mappable) fuel ignition system and I run the car with E85 with gives a lot of moore torque and hp compared to gasoline.

So ofcourse its possible to get the car to pass the yearly MOT.
But they look for robust solutions and, not to much increase of power.
I often give the MOT guys tip of what to look for, because theres so many 500-1000hp cars on the roads with standard breaks and chassis. I dont like that..

If you modify your car its your responibility to make it as safe as possibly. 
Reason is you dont want to cause any unneccesary accidents resulting in killing people.
If you kill yourself on a lonely countryside road in midwinter with -25 degrees below its OK, but dont take anyone down with you.
I dont have to say this to you its more pointed towards many of the swedish garage tuners
All motorheads from England that I know have a higher moral, regarding safety than the Swedish motorheads.

Enjoy your stay in Sweden and start living your life to the fullest.
This is a land with many opportunities and a lot of free time...
You dont have to be rich to have fun in this country,,,,

Best luck

thanks for that smile

i think the rodball things you are refering to are called rose joints, or ball and socket joints, depending on how they are mounted. but your car sounds incredible! thats how it should be!

i totally agree with you 100% i hate unsafe cars, i have seen some horible cars both in england and sweden which should never be on the road. if you tune your car start with suspention and brakes THEN the engine. thats why i have custom adjustable suspention on my car with a standard engine.

one point tho, it seems like you do have to be rich in sweden! wow the price of stuff is so much more! i wanted one of those new flat TVs, if i drive to the UK, buy one and drive back, it is 4000kr cheaper then buying it here!

but i suppose thats not the point, just being here is so much fun, its just so beautiful, i am about 10min drive from the sea, i can just go there for free its great!

RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

THANKS everyone for the warm welcome, and sorry for the huge amount of posts, i thought i had pushed the button to email me when a new post has been made but i heard nothing back.

its great to get info from the people who are in to modifying, as we know, there is a big difference between what is illegal, and what you can acceptably get away with, and you have to be part of this modifying world to know that. asking my girlfriend what is legal in sweden, i just get the answer, "nothing" because she can only look in the book.

but thanks again everyone, i now have the difficult task of intergrating into the swedish way of life and finding some way to carry on my car work over here.

Thunderbird88 A small step for Sloth, a giant leap for Slothkind
5 juli 2010 · 3 929 Inlägg

Welcome to Sweden!
I must ask, what cars are you talking about? Turbo, Supercharged or N/A? How tuned are they?

The Mustang SVT Cobra my father has is pushing almost 600hp on the rear wheels but it's street legal.
Why?
It's supercharged original so with a swapper supercharger, how can they see that it's not original?
If they ask you "is this original" just look stupid and say "Yeah, I think so".
And if they say "Wow this thing feels quick" just say "Yeah, I think the gearing is swapped".

BUT if you have a Turbo car which in the paper says N/A you're in trouble.
But it's not impossible. If an N/A car in the UK is registered with a turbo then you will get it registered with turbo in Sweden too. Worked with our Ford Bronco with a Paxton Supercharger smile

Kolla gärna in min garage tråd - Garaget Zoo! - http://www.garaget.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203067
Dodge Viper GTS "Huggormen" (1998)
Ford Thunderbird "Procharged 306" (1988)
Powerman Japan Quality
5 juli 2010 · 670 Inlägg

If you now live in Sweden and has been allowed to stay here. Why not inspect your car with Swedish plates? Swedish vehicle inspection is on the road to deregulation as well. New participants entering the market. Registration inspection must be well at the moment if you modify the car.

P.Sköld
Honda il potere dei sogni
Honda NSX (1992)
alexxe En gång till nu
5 juli 2010 · 760 Inlägg

u say your engine sits in the back now instead of in the front, if u have done a extremely good work u can try getting your car throug the SFRO.  The SFRO inspect your car so u can classify it as an amatueur build car, and thereby get your car thrugh the swedish SPB.

a alternative smile.

Jag tror att alla mår gott av att unna sej en Nissan av och tillS14a
twin_cam Smålänning
5 juli 2010 · 7 877 Inlägg

alexxe skrev:
u say your engine sits in the back now instead of in the front, if u have done a extremely good work u can try getting your car throug the SFRO.  The SFRO inspect your car so u can classify it as an amatueur build car, and thereby get your car thrugh the swedish SPB.

a alternative smile.

Yes, that's a pretty good idea...

Try to register it as "Amatörbyggt Fordon" (Amateur built vehicle). The only requirements on the car then is that it has to be safe to drive (good brakes from a similar weight or heavier vehicle, seculey mounted steering and chassis components), a stock engine and no more then 15 kW/100 kg of weight.

It does not matter if its RHD och LHD either. smile

it's worth a try if nothing else works.

But since you have moved here, it should be possible to register it as "FLYTTGODS", if it is 100% legal to drive on public roads in England.

Qiute a few people who have moved here from, as an example, the US, have had cars that would be almost impossible to get legal in normal ways registered using that exception.

EDIT: By the way: Welcome to Sweden smile

Senast redigerat av twin_cam (5 juli 2010)

En expert är en person som gjort alla misstag som är möjliga att göra inom ett begränsat område!
Du kan ta smålänningen ur Småland, men du kan aldrig ta Småland ur smålänningen!
RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

Thunderbird88 skrev:
Welcome to Sweden!
I must ask, what cars are you talking about? Turbo, Supercharged or N/A? How tuned are they?

The Mustang SVT Cobra my father has is pushing almost 600hp on the rear wheels but it's street legal.
Why?
It's supercharged original so with a swapper supercharger, how can they see that it's not original?
If they ask you "is this original" just look stupid and say "Yeah, I think so".
And if they say "Wow this thing feels quick" just say "Yeah, I think the gearing is swapped".

BUT if you have a Turbo car which in the paper says N/A you're in trouble.
But it's not impossible. If an N/A car in the UK is registered with a turbo then you will get it registered with turbo in Sweden too. Worked with our Ford Bronco with a Paxton Supercharger smile

....don't laugh,   my cars are nissan micras all of them, they come with a factory 1.3 75bhp engine, but one had a 1.6 105bhp engine, the other has a second 1.3 engine in the back of it.

problem is, the plan was to run nitrous on the twin engine car, i cant see that ever being legal, and sure i could build it and get it legal in the uk but in the uk there is nothing on paper that says it has a turbo or nitrous etc, our papers just say the engine size and paint colour. which is why we can fit turbos to are cars without any problems, you dont have to tell anyone except the insurance.

another problem is i van converted one of my cars, that involved removing the back seats and making a false floor. that was registered in the UK as a van, but i was told here in sweden i still need to put the back seats in which seems pretty stupid to me.

RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

Powerman skrev:
If you now live in Sweden and has been allowed to stay here. Why not inspect your car with Swedish plates? Swedish vehicle inspection is on the road to deregulation as well. New participants entering the market. Registration inspection must be well at the moment if you modify the car.

how would i go about getting swedish plates? doesn't the car have to be registered before they give me the plates? all my cars are non standard so first i have to know what they will let through, tho i think from what you guys are saying, my car with the rally suspention, and the van conversion should be ok. the trailer is a whole other matter tho.

RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

alexxe skrev:

a alternative smile.

ooh, that sounds like the kind of thing i am after, we have the same in the UK called an SVA test for custom built cars, but its very difficult and costly to get through.

at the moment the rear engine conversion is not good. or rather it works fine, but i am no where near happy with it. i was hoping to drag it to sweden and custom build a proper roll cage to tie it all together, and then seam weld the chassis so its solid. then strip the car, paint it and underseal it, and rebuild it. but there is nothing i can do while it sits in england!

Dubs I got Dubs!
5 juli 2010 · 2 423 Inlägg

Fuck the law cool

Lexus RX 300 "The Pursuit Of Perfection" (2000)
RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

twin_cam skrev:

alexxe skrev:

a alternative smile.

Yes, that's a pretty good idea...

Try to register it as "Amatörbyggt Fordon" (Amateur built vehicle). The only requirements on the car then is that it has to be safe to drive (good brakes from a similar weight or heavier vehicle, seculey mounted steering and chassis components), a stock engine and no more then 15 kW/100 kg of weight.

It does not matter if its RHD och LHD either. smile

it's worth a try if nothing else works.

But since you have moved here, it should be possible to register it as "FLYTTGODS", if it is 100% legal to drive on public roads in England.

Qiute a few people who have moved here from, as an example, the US, have had cars that would be almost impossible to get legal in normal ways registered using that exception.

EDIT: By the way: Welcome to Sweden smile

interesting, so for example, if i was to build this car up until its perfect, take it back to the UK and get it road legal, then bring it back to sweden claiming that england said it was ok and try to register it as flyttgods, then that little loop hole will mean i can modify cars in Sweden? technically?

tho Amatörbyggt Fordon sounds good too apart from the 15kw/100kg the car was supposed to be 95kw per 100kg when finished...

this is all great help guys, there is some hope!

thanks again for the warm welcome, sweden seems full of friendly and helpful people, its just a shame everyone is so far apart!

twin_cam Smålänning

RustyNeX skrev:
....don't laugh,   my cars are nissan micras all of them, they come with a factory 1.3 75bhp engine, but one had a 1.6 105bhp engine, the other has a second 1.3 engine in the back of it.

problem is, the plan was to run nitrous on the twin engine car, i cant see that ever being legal, and sure i could build it and get it legal in the uk but in the uk there is nothing on paper that says it has a turbo or nitrous etc, our papers just say the engine size and paint colour. which is why we can fit turbos to are cars without any problems, you dont have to tell anyone except the insurance.

another problem is i van converted one of my cars, that involved removing the back seats and making a false floor. that was registered in the UK as a van, but i was told here in sweden i still need to put the back seats in which seems pretty stupid to me.

No, nitous would be hard to get thru the MOT wink

In Sweden we have about the same information on the cars papers, but when regisrtatig a N/A car in sweden to be a turbo, you have to change the engine to one thats alredy equipped with a turbo och SC... The look at the engine certification code,

The most common exaple in Sweden: Volvo 240/740 with the slowest 116 BHP (code: B230F) engine. It will not be possible to register that car with a turbo on THAT engine, but if ju swap the whole enging, including the ECU:s to the stock turbocharged version of the same engine (Code: B230FT) you just have to go thru a quite normal MOT with the only difference that it is a little more expensive. The thing they do is changing the figures in the "Engine Power" field in the papers.

Then you can do as alomst every Volvo Turbo owner in Sweden, tune the engine to double, or triple the original power, and the MOT usually doesn't care as long as the emissions ar on the correct values, and the engine runs as it should smile

Senast redigerat av twin_cam (5 juli 2010)

En expert är en person som gjort alla misstag som är möjliga att göra inom ett begränsat område!
Du kan ta smålänningen ur Småland, men du kan aldrig ta Småland ur smålänningen!
RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

twin_cam skrev:

RustyNeX skrev:

No, nitous would be hard to get thru the MOT wink

In Sweden we have about the same information on the cars papers, but when regisrtatig a N/A car in sweden to be a turbo, you have to change the engine to one thats alredy equipped with a turbo och SC... The look at the engine certification code,

The most common exaple in Sweden: Volvo 240/740 with the slowest 116 BHP (code: B230F) engine. It will not be possible to register that car with a turbo on THAT engine, but if ju swap the whole enging, including the ECU:s to the stock turbocharged version of the same engine (Code: B230FT) you just have to go thru a quite normal MOT with the only difference that it is a little more expensive. The thing they do is changing the figures in the "Engine Power" field in the papers.

Then you can do as alomst every Volvo Turbo owner in Sweden, tune the engine to double, or triple the original power, and the MOT usually doesn't care as long as the emissions ar on the correct values, and the engine runs as it should smile

shame sad again nitrous, perfectly legal in the uk as long as its safe.

so that means it is ok to do engine swaps? or only of engines of the same type?

for example my engine has a CG13DE 1.3 75bhp engine, i have swaped these engines for the GA16DE 105bhp 1.6 engine, would that be ok or would it not be ok because that car never had a GA series engine in it?

so you can tune your car with what you have, but you can't add turbos or super chargers you need to have them on the engine already?

its starting to sound not as bad as i thought.

another question, what about cosmetic changes? if the car looks modified with body kits etc is that a problem, one of my cars is a show car which is done up to look pretty, in the UK i would get stopped by the police all the time because the car was obvious, is it the same here in sweden?

twin_cam Smålänning

RustyNeX skrev:

for example my engine has a CG13DE 1.3 75bhp engine, i have swaped these engines for the GA16DE 105bhp 1.6 engine, would that be ok or would it not be ok because that car never had a GA series engine in it?

so you can tune your car with what you have, but you can't add turbos or super chargers you need to have them on the engine already?

another question, what about cosmetic changes? if the car looks modified with body kits etc is that a problem, one of my cars is a show car which is done up to look pretty, in the UK i would get stopped by the police all the time because the car was obvious, is it the same here in sweden?

I wrote a longer post, byt my internet (damn mobile internet mad ) disconnected, so when i clicked on post, all dissapered sad

There are power limitations from either the manufacturer, or from rules...

On Volvo 740 there is a manufacturerlimitation on 286 BHP and 305 NM, så any engine with catalytic converter newer than the car can be fitted, and registrered completley legal smile

The other rules, thost if there are not manufacturer limitations, i am not som good at, unfortunently...

But styling in this country sounds pretty easier than in england...

You can do almost what you want, as long as the car is traffic-safe, and has no sharp edges that can hurt people that may run in to your car, och out in front of it while you drivning wink

Of cause ther has to be legal lightning an so on, but the colir of tha glass doesent matter, as long that its red light bakwards and white forwards, and orange/yellow indicators smile

RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

twin_cam skrev:

RustyNeX skrev:

I wrote a longer post, byt my internet (damn mobile internet mad ) disconnected, so when i clicked on post, all dissapered sad

There are power limitations from either the manufacturer, or from rules...

On Volvo 740 there is a manufacturerlimitation on 286 BHP and 305 NM, så any engine with catalytic converter newer than the car can be fitted, and registrered completley legal smile

The other rules, thost if there are not manufacturer limitations, i am not som good at, unfortunently...

But styling in this country sounds pretty easier than in england...

You can do almost what you want, as long as the car is traffic-safe, and has no sharp edges that can hurt people that may run in to your car, och out in front of it while you drivning wink

Of cause ther has to be legal lightning an so on, but the colir of tha glass doesent matter, as long that its red light bakwards and white forwards, and orange/yellow indicators smile

mobile internet is horrible isn't it!

thats interesting about the manufacturers limitations, i will have to see if my car has any, but it is sounding better and better, i think being in sweden is not going to be so hard after all, its just the twin engine beast that i will have trouble with, and if i can get that legal in the UK then that should be fine too!

twin_cam Smålänning

RustyNeX skrev:

thats interesting about the manufacturers limitations, i will have to see if my car has any, but it is sounding better and better, i think being in sweden is not going to be so hard after all, its just the twin engine beast that i will have trouble with, and if i can get that legal in the UK then that should be fine too!

Citroën had a twin engine 2CV in the sixties, at least one was registred i sweden wink But thats was i the sixties and it hade a total of about 50 BHP... Hehe wink

Look if your car has any limitations... I'm not sure about what is the easyest way, maybe SFRO can answer it, maybe not...

The best way i think is to send an email to te manufacturer, and hope for som luck... They arn't always that helpful wink

RustyNeX
5 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

twin_cam skrev:

RustyNeX skrev:

Citroën had a twin engine 2CV in the sixties, at least one was registred i sweden wink But thats was i the sixties and it hade a total of about 50 BHP... Hehe wink

Look if your car has any limitations... I'm not sure about what is the easyest way, maybe SFRO can answer it, maybe not...

The best way i think is to send an email to te manufacturer, and hope for som luck... They arn't always that helpful wink

i remember that car, it was called the Sahara if i remember correctly shame it was so crap! lol

thanks for the tip, i will check up and see if i can find some limitations for my car, i suppose there should be some somewhere. smile

Slash Saabifierad
6 juli 2010 · 2 027 Inlägg

RustyNeX skrev:
hey ya,

thanks for the welcome smile

when coming to sweden it was almost better in every way, but this car thing is really getting me down, i do love these empty country roads in sweden, but it was the same in England too, we have some incredible drives, i recommend anyone to drive the countryside around glasgow in scotland too, you wont get a better driving experience, long open roads you can see for miles, with twists too loads of fun.

i did have some real fun in the winter this year too, drifting around on the ice was great and the snow tyres really did a great job.

yea i was very shocked at the state of the roads over here, i was heading a little further north and managed to turn my wheel square with a nasty pot hole! and unfortunatly all my cars are as low as it goes, one of them has a brace bar along the bottom which makes it about 8cm from the ground, luckily the car i want to bring over is going to be a rally car, if sweden will let me finish it, so that should help!

that is very interesting about seeing the differences between england and sweden. from my point of view i know so amazing tuners in England who have build some stunning cars, full carbon fibre chassis custom cars etc, because you can build a car from nothing in England. and the Arial atom, which was built not too far from where i lived, is one of the fastest accelerating cars in the world. where as coming to sweden, i see normal cars, pretty much only volvos, and some shocking driving, the number of people who just pull out infront of me on round abouts and junctions, i have had more near crashes in sweden than all my years of driving in the UK. but i am sure its not like that really which is the problem, to understand the car scene in your country you need to be a part of it. which is what i was in England, but in sweden i don't know anyone who is into cars, so it all seems a bit slow... and with modifying being illegal that just makes it worse. i think that is going to drive me mad, i cant leave anything standard.

awesome, what roll cage? weld in or bolt in? and what car? i have had some fun fitting roll cages, it really makes a difference.

About people cutting you of, I know an old englishman that said like one of the hardest trafficrules to learn is the swedish rightrule (högerregeln) meaning if you are driving on a road that isnt a main road (huvudled = head road? well I have no idea what the name of these type of roads are in english or if you got something similar like a leftrule or something) the law says you need to let cars coming from the right drive before you, perhaps its similar that you dont know of this rule and belive people cuts you off? this rule is not apply in roundabouts though.

Miljöpartistisk riksdagspolitiker: På vägen hit denna dag såg jag något sorgligt, jag såg en pingvin som bara låg ner vid sidan av cykelvägen, och jag förstod nästan direkt varför: bensinpriset är ju enbart på 14 kronor.......... Skulle det ligga på 50 kronor idag skulle pingvinen vara uppe och göra det pingviner gör..... Tänk på det kära församling....Tänk på det!
RustyNeX
6 juli 2010 · 20 Inlägg

Slash skrev:
About people cutting you of, I know an old englishman that said like one of the hardest trafficrules to learn is the swedish rightrule (högerregeln) meaning if you are driving on a road that isnt a main road (huvudled = head road? well I have no idea what the name of these type of roads are in english or if you got something similar like a leftrule or something) the law says you need to let cars coming from the right drive before you, perhaps its similar that you dont know of this rule and belive people cuts you off? this rule is not apply in roundabouts though.

ahhh yes, they had a simmilar thing in france, which was give way to the right, any car on your right could pull out infront of you. i remember now hearing that in sweden that WAS a rule here that some of the older people still stick to, but its no longer a proper rule?

but that makes a lot of sense now actually, i will have to keep that in mind when i am out driving

InX-Engineering
9 juli 2010 · 138 Inlägg

Cars that have turbo stock are easier to get trough SBP, I know that Supras,Skylines and other japanese imports are good for tuning in sweden, My friend bought a 550hp Skyline GTR R34 Swedish registration didnt say anything and wrote 280hp in the papers, My friend did a some upgrades and the car had around 750+hp and he went to SBP no problems. But Sweden will change some laws.

Senast i forumet
Diskussionsforum
Projekt
Evenemang